By Chris Hansen | Register-Guard | February 20, 2023
Former Oregon football player Traeshon Holden will not face charges stemming from his arrest last week.
Holden was dismissed from the team after he was arrested Wednesday on charges of alleged unlawful use of a weapon, coercion and menacing. The first two charges are felonies and the third is a misdemeanor.
Lane County District Attorney Patricia Perlow wrote in an email Monday morning that after further review, “The evidence does not support charging Mr. Holden with any crime.”
Eugene Police responded to a fight outside of an apartment at Gordon Lofts in downtown Eugene just after midnight Wednesday.
Police said Holden had a firearm and threatened to shoot after one of two bystanders intervened in the fight. Holden was arrested without incident and officers located a handgun inside the apartment.
"Traeshon Holden did nothing wrong," his attorney, Jacob Houze, wrote in an emailed statement. "The Lane County District Attorney's thorough review of the evidence has confirmed that. Now that he has been exonerated, he deserves to have his good name back."
Holden transferred to Oregon from Alabama in December and was expected to challenge for a starting spot at wide receiver.
As of Monday afternoon, an Oregon spokesman said there was no change in Holden's status with the team after he no longer face charges.
In announcing Holden's dismissal last week, Oregon coach Dan Lanning said, "We have a high standard for the student-athletes, coaches, and staff in our football program, and we are disappointed when these standards are not met. We will hold everyone accountable for meeting our expectations.”